- Candidate MUST be a registered SSA Member to qualify for course registration
Candidates must be in possession of the following:
- Valid First Aid Level 1
- Learn to Swim Instructor Certificate
- Police clearance that is valid at the time of doing the course
- Candidates must remember that when the first aid certificate is older than a year, it must be accompanied by a valid CPR certificate.
- Candidates are required to have two years (two full seasons) LTS instructors experience
- Candidates must present their Portfolio of Evidence upon registration
- Candidates must provide evidence that they have been teaching LTS for the past two seasons
- Candidates must also participate in the practical aspects of the theoretical background supplied in the two manuals that go with the course.
- During the course the participants will be expected to demonstrate the teaching technique of the 12 swimming skills toddlers can perform
Candidates must contact the E&T Coordinator in the area to make an appointment for their course enrollment. Upon enrollment candidates must produce their:
- Valid First Aid Level 1
- Certified Copy of their ID
- X1 ID size photo (colour)
- Course Fee of R1800.00
- Copy of a valid LTS Certificate
In turn candidates will receive a Pre-course Manual and a course program.
3 x day Training program from 08:00 – 16:30.
Consult your Provincial E&T Coordinator for scheduled dates.
- Candidates must log 20x hours with a minumum of two accredited and registered Todswim Instructors.
- 2 x Practical Assessments will be conducted;
- On the second day of the 3 x day training programme, participants will carry out practical exercises
- Candidates will aslo write a theory exam
- After the participant has completed the 20 x hours of logging another assessment will be conducted with an SSA Facilitator/ Assessor
Candidates who successfully complete course requirements are awarded with a Swim SA Todswim certificate which allows them to only teach from 12 months old to 48 months.
Instructors are required to register annually with SSA, through their Provincial Affiliate, produce a Police Clearance, Certified Copy of ID, Copy of First Aid Level 1 Certificate, 14 CPD points and proof of Todswim Instructor accreditation.
The Pre-course Manual consists of the following modules:
- Standards for Toddler Swim Teaching and Water Safety
- Characteristics of Toddlers
- The way Toddlers Learn
- Swimming Skills for Toddlers
- Aspects of Teaching
The Course Manual consists of the following modules:
- Overview of Pre-course Manual Modules 1 – 3
- Secondary Swimming Skills
- Primary Swimming Skills
- Teaching Cues