Learn to swim
Learn to Swim Instructor Training
The Learn to Swim Instructor Training is the entry level (pre-requisite) for the following courses:
- Coaching Level 1
- Must be able to swim at least 25m back survival, 25m side survival and 25m of any FINA recognised stroke
- Candidates must be in possession of a First Aid Level 1 Certificate (Unit Standard 119567 NQF Level 1)
- Police clearance that is valid at the time of doing the course
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Matric Certificate recommended
- Candidates must remember that when the first aid certificate is older than a year, it must be accompanied by a valid CPR certificate.
Candidates must contact the Provincial E&T Coordinator (PE&TC) in the area to make an appointment for their course enrollment. Upon enrollment candidates must produce their:
- Valid First Aid Level 1 Certificate
- Certified Copy of ID
- X1 ID size photo’s (colour)
- Course Fee of R1500.00
- No Refunds are awarded after course commencement
Candidates will receive a Pre Course Manual and a Course Program.
3 day Training program from 08:00 – 16:30.
Consult the E&T Coordinator in your Province for scheduled dates.
On day two candidates will receive a Course Manual which should be studied before commenecing the written exam.
An exam must be written at the Provincial Office or at a designated exam centre. Please liaise with your Provincial Education Training Coordinator.
Candidates must log 20x hours with a minimum of two accredited and registered LTS Instructors.
A Practical Assessment will be conducted with a SSA Assesor.
The six months timeframe commences on the day that candidates receive their exam results. As soon as cansiadtes have been declared competent (passing the theory exam) they can start logging their 20 hours. The final stage is for candidates to make arrangements with E&T Coordinator for their practical assessment. Failing this, your accreditation is terminated and you will be required to redo the entire course process. No Refunds are awarded after course commencement.
Once all documents are submitted to SSA they will undergo a moderation and verification process which usually takes up to eight weeks.
Validity of certification
- As soon as candidates receive their certifcates they must registrator with the Provincial Affiliate
- Validity of accreditation means instructors must submit 12 CPD points annually during registration
- Not complying with the above will render the certificate invalid
Instructors are required to register annually with SSA, through their Provincial Affiliate, and they need to produce a valid Police Clearance, Certified Copy of ID, Copy of First Aid Level 1 Certificate, 12 CPD points and proof of Instructor accreditation.
Both the Pre Course and Course Manuals consist of the following Modules:
- How People Learn
- Swimming Teacher and The Law
- Planning the Programme
- Principles of Movement in Water
- Introduction to Swimming
Stroke Development (4 x Fina recognised strokes)
- Crawl Stroke (better known as Freestyle)
- Side Stroke
- Water Safety
The Course Manual is an extension of the Pre Course Modules covered above.